Sunday, February 14, 2010

Chapter One - Frank Skinner

"So Doug, now you are on the show does that mean Madonna really will be the President of the United States?" Frank asks with his tongue firmly set in his cheek.

"I can't live Madonna's life for her, Frank, it's up to her" I replied.

"Well, let's ask her then. Please welcome Madonna!"

On walked the iconic star to rapturous applause.

I had been invited onto the Frank Skinner Show as a guest because my book "Edge of Dreams" had sold over a million copies. Various radio broadcasts and chat shows later, I was touring the world to talk about my story.

Frank was used to interviewing all kinds of celebrities and as his show was highly popular, I agreed to go on with Madonna. After all, "it will make great TV," my coach and manager Tom Evans had said.

The nature of the material in the book had inspired a great many people, not least the celebrities written about, and their involvement brought the story to life.

We talked about George Best and the power of celebrity and of the ability the media has to shape and destroy the lives of all famous people. As I had been George's apprentice at Fulham, I had first-hand experience of seeing media people chasing him for stories and photos and observing the power the spotlight has to transform the perception of a person.

Now it was happening to me. My experience of living on the edge had equipped me for what was to come. The world would ridicule me in the same vein as David Ike, the ex-pro goalkeeper turned TV presenter who became interested in spiritual matters and when he communicated his ideas people thought he was crazy.

I was ready. I could see three stages to my career as an author and speaker. The first being that of entertainer. If David Ike hadn't taken himself so seriously I am certain he would have had more of an impact.

The second stage is as an educator. Once you have people's attention then you have the ability to communicate a message. I certainly wanted to get mine across.

Finally, being in a position to inspire people was my life's dream and here it was. The world was listening and I was talking.

"So, are you going to be Prez then, Madge?" Frank inquired, not sure what the response would be.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Alan Donegan said...

Brilliant Doug. Great read, I really enoyed it..... What happens next though??? Alan

5:45 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home